Condolences. We lost our crazy lab (a la Marley and Me) 2 years ago and it was probably worse for me than the rest of the family. Now we are a dog foster family for Golden Gate Lab Rescue, in the hopes that we'll find just the right match. So far no go, but we've had some very nice dogs come through our home.

My dream dog is a Bernese Mountain Dog that I can call 'Bernie Mac' after the late comedian. But most rescue Bernies have some type of health problem that's hard to deal with.

We used to give our dog (and now some of our fosters) Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. We only find it at Pet Food Express. If you read the ingredients, the first five or so are real meat, like chicken, beef, fish, etc. Not until the 5th or 6th ingredient do you get to fillers like 'meal'. Check the other foods like Science Diet and you will see the fillers at the top.

We also found a more homeopathic, home-made style at Pet Food Exp that was a dry re-constituted food. Its soft (good for senior dogs) but doesn't smell like canned food. As close to home made dog food as you can get, a bit like oatmeal but dogs seem to like it.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 08/03/09 07:33 PM.