Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Brian, this is anecdotal as I haven't auditioned any of the subs in question (I have an older-design Axiom 350 that really is nothing like the current 350). Maybe it's not worth much, but here goes.

Everything I've heard about the 400 tells me it's a GREAT sub in a small room or with music. But since your room is relatively big, my gut feeling is that the 400 won't offer ANYWHERE near the performance as the 500 in your setup.

Although there are other makes that are generally considered a good value, Axiom offers free shipping (even to HI, I believe) and offers the advantage of matching the finish on your M3s.

FWIW.

And welcome, by the way! \:\)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the welcome! This forum is one of the most well balanced manufacturer's forum I've been to. A great place to ask questions even if it is not purely Axiom related.

Yes, surprisingly I get the best shipping deal (free!) from a Canadian based company that ships its products out of NY!

With regards to room size, does my veiwing proximity to the sub make a difference? While the room is relatively large, the area that comprises my HT is, perhaps 10 x 14 with my viewing distance at 8ft. If the sub is placed along a wall, but next to the couch, would I be able to get away with a smaller design or does room dimensions trump proximity?

Excuse me for the HT/Audio 101 level questions, but I'm still trying to learn all of the technical nuances.

Aloha!
Brian