Hi Eric and all,

It's important to keep in mind that Martin-Logans, like most other electrostatic planar (flat-panel) radiators, are dipole designs, which means there is an almost equal amount of radiated sound from the rear of the panel, out of phase, as there is from the front of the speaker. Consequently the mix of reflected sounds plust the forward-radiated sound, sometimes gives dipole speakers an expansive soundfield that's certainly different from standard dynamic forward radiating speakers.

It's a flattering and seductive effect, but it makes dipole speakers very tricky to set up and very dependent on the room, plus the expanded soundstage often comes at the expense of precise imaging. Certainly, electrostatic speakers are capable of very uncolored neutral midrange, although that isn't always the case. I've heard Martin Logans sound quite good (a friend of mine in Boston had a pair of Aerius Martin Logans, if memory serves) and really lousy. A Martin Logan home theater demo at CES had one of the most colored and "tunnelly" sounding center channels I've ever heard. Plus the "sweet spot" with some electrostatic speakers is extremely critical--if you move your head a couple of inches, the highs and imaging disappear or radically shift.

I think we're all fascinated by the technology, except for the polarizing voltage (having to connect each speaker to an AC source is a huge disadvantage) but in the end, I do not believe that electrostatic reproducers have any intrinsic superiority to really well designed dynamic drivers such as the Axiom M80s, M60s, M22s, etc. Moreover, dynamic drivers are able to play cleanly at much louder levels than most electrostatics.

Sometimes just hearing different technology speakers in demo rooms can persuade you that there is something "better" than your home experience---often it's just the change in the listening environment and psycho-acoustical expectations at work.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)