Jeff,

So you are looking to upgrade your AVR because it lacks HDMI, I understand that, mine does too, but if it is only for video switching purposes that you want to upgrade, you could look to a HDMI switch instead, that is what I'm running while I spend money else where in my theatre.

What components are you looking to switch? Does your current AVR have enough optical/coax inputs for sound? If you have lots of audio inputs I'd consider getting a little more out of your current AVR rather then upgrading.

The only source that I think you would consider HDMI a 'must' from the audio side is a Blu Ray player and if your AVR has analog inputs you could easily pair it with a blu ray player with analog outputs and I think that just about nullifies the need for HDMI for audio... though I do think there is some limitations in regards to hearing secondary audio tracks over for PIP and the like, it will allow you to get to hear the latest audio codecs without the need for HDMI.

I know today's AVR's have the ability to upscale content and switch HDMI sources, but for my use, I'm happy with the upscaling my blu ray player does direct to my display and more then happy with the direct feed from my PVR to my display where I don't feel I need an AVR to do any video procoessing for me.

I decided to get a 4x1 HDMI switch form Monoprice and get a couple of more years out of my AVR. Only thing I'd consider over that is a 4x2 switch. My AVR still does all my audio switching and I'm happy with that.