Jeff,

Sorry if I rambled \:\)

I'm just in a similar situation where I don't want to replace my AVR right now because I'm happy with the sound it produces and it is switching all my audio just fine.

I'm not convinced a low end (<$1000) AVR will do a better job processing my picture then my individual components are doing right now. I suppose if I had a VCR or a Wii in the mix I could benifit somewhat by the AVR upconverting those signals. But for DVD upconversion, the Oppo is going to do just as good of a job as any low end AVR is going to do so if I did buy a cheap AVR I would only be looking to pass the signal straight through and not looking for it do any processing.

Now my display is a projector with a single HDMI port on it, so I needed something to switch my HDMI sources, I opted for a cheap HDMI switch rather then buying a whole new AVR.

I'm not even convinced you need an HDMI switch if your TV has enough HDMI inputs to cover all your components.

I think you should list what components you are looking to connect to your TV and let us know how many HDMI inputs your television has. From there we could determine what benifits you would get by upgrading versus keeping your existing one.

I rambled again, sorry about that \:\)