I had a problem with a hum on my subwoofer. Here is the symptoms I had:
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi

hmmm. Here is the situation:

ground screw loosened a bit on the ep 500 and cable box plugged in= slight hum in subwoofer.

ground screw loosened a bit and cable box unpluged= slight hum turns in to a LOUD ROAR.... ?

ground screw tightened all the way back to normal with cable box plugged in= slight hum

ground screw tightend all the way back to normal with cable box unplugged= no hum.

My cable company is coming out saturday and I will have them install a ground isolator. Sounds like a ground Isolator on the cable box + ground screw tightened into original setting will eliminate my ground loop problem... what do you think?

what I don't understand is why the hum gets SO FRIGGIN' LOUD with the cable box unplugged from my receiver and the ground screw loosened...

weird!

If all else fails I will buy the axiom ground isolator, but I am going to try and convince my cable company that it is there fault (well it is) and see if they will do it free of charge... (hey it's worth a shot )

I ended up buying the axiom ground isolator (cable company had no clue what I was talking about. However, My cable company actually reimbursed me for the cost.

-David