Yes. I just picked up a Sansui SE-9 to go with my Anthem Integrated 1 amp. The amp has no tone controls and at low listening volumes the bass needs a boost. Just like those loudness switches on receivers. They serve a purpose. Human hearing doesn't pick up the low frequencies at low volume like it does the mids and highs. The better designed boosts like those in the Yamaha receivers are variable so as you turn up the volume the amount of bass boost declines until you are running flat when the amp hits about 1/3 volume. Running flat at low volumes makes the music sound unnatural due to the missing bass.

The EQ I bought has a pink noise generator and will tune itself to a flat response in the room. Unfortunately I don't have the mic with it so I haven't been able to try it yet. I did find a mic that should work, I just need to get it ordered.

One of the best speakers going, the $15k B&O Beolab 5's have a built in mic that extends and eq's the bass to the room.

It's a shame that EQ's have fallen out of fashion since they are an excellent way to make something good sound great. Some stuff also benefits greatly from some EQ. Heavy metal flat out sounds better with a slight mid scoop. Talk radio sounds better with a slight mid boost. Dance sounds better with some bass boost. Etc.

A good EQ will only do to the sound what you want. If I run the Sansui with the EQ defeated and switch it in and out of the loop (completely bypassing it) there is no change in the sound so until the EQ is activated the unit adds zero change to the signal. Maybe there was some unwanted coloration added by cheaper units that lead to the demise of them being acceptable in a system.