After using the pink noise auto leveling feature on the Sansui and being incredibly impressed with the results I decided to go for something with more than 7 adjustments per channel. I have a Behringer DEQ 2496 http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0705/behringerultracurve2496.htm digital 31 band on the way.

The difference I experienced after the EQ leveled for the room was much cleaner sound. This was especially true in the bass. It was tight and real and the boominess was gone. I also noticed a difference in acoustic guitar. It sounded nice before. Now it sounds like someone playing it in the room. I now hear fingers moving on the strings that I never noticed before. Vocals also sound smoother. Before there was slightest bit of edge at the top that is gone. All the details are still there it's just more natural sounding. I was amazed at the difference in the EQ on each channel. When I looked at the sliders after the adjustment my first thought was that I would never have set them that way manually. Almost all the adjustments were done by lowering the sliders from 0 instead of raising them.