I think the universal answer around here would be to either opt for the M60's, or M22's + sub. The M60's would probably do very well with your size of room.

For the types of music you mention, you're not going to need a whole lot of frequency depth below the 35hz that the M60's reach easily. However, if you listen to a lot very bass-heavy classical, a subwoofer may be very important - whichever speaker you go with.

I myself only listen to 2-channel stereo, which is what I use my M40's for. I prefer bright living spaces, though - hardwood floors, etc. The house I live in now (and own) actually has hardwood floors AND ceilings in many places. I don't have any music hooked up yet, as I'm painting... but I'm really curious how things are going to sound with the way this place echoes!

I really think the M40's are the perfect speaker for me - they don't cost too much (important), don't take up much room at all for a tower, and don't generate the slightest bit of fatigue. I also listen to vinyl almost exclusively, so I would think a warm speaker would fit nicely. Having said that, I may opt to try out some m22 or m2s in my new space and move the M40's elsewhere. I'd really like to try out a more "open" speaker, although I really do fear that I won't much like it in my environment and with my taste in music.

I can only offer what I feel I've experienced with my 2-channel setup - which has really just been musical bliss ever since owning the axioms. I have literally listened to every bit of music I own since owning them just to notice so much more that I never heard before. These speakers are a steal for that level of personal enjoyment.

cheers!