Hi folks,

I'm shopping for speakers for the first time in 17 years and can't decide which bookshelf units to get and was hoping to get some sense of perspective regarding the M22. Many comments and reviews say that they need a sub-woofer but I'm wondering how much this really matters to the casual listener.

As a point of comparison, I was recently gifted some Audioengine A5s for my computer and think they sound pretty good but feel they lack any decent mid-range. Their 5" woofers put out as much bass as I'll ever need, so I figured that the M22, with two of these sized woofers, should have at least as much punch. Is my thinking right about that? The Audioengines are so well reviewed, I wondered if I my mid-range hearing isn't what it used to be and googling has led me to the M22.

I listen to Eno, Bowie, older jazz, power pop, blues on a '93 low-end Denon DRA-345 receiver (8 ohm, 45W x 2). The living room (12x20x9' ceilings) is in a biggish, creaky 90 year old home with hardwood floors. My recently toasted Paradigm Titans (Performance Series) always sounded fine to me (and I always had the bass way down).

So I guess it all boils down to wether or not my cheap old receiver can drive the M22s and if the lack of bass is really a problem if I don't plan on upgrading the receiver or adding a sub for the foreseeable future. Would I be just as well off with the M2 or M3?

Thanks,
Paul