Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I'm always hesitant to buy vintage gear for fear of breakdowns, etc. I've had too many flakey old receivers. How's your luck been?

I haven't had any issues except one actually. There's the odd extra ding or scratch that wasn't noted but one seller (from ebay, one of only two times i ever bought a vintage item from ebay) REALLY didn't tell the whole truth about his gear. He neglected to mention the broken parts entirely and he stated that he cleaned the volume pots and all, and the sound was static scratchy.
The guy was a liar period.
I checked his feedback, for which he had tons, and about one in every thirty buyers complained about the same thing, that he sold them broken stuff, didn't disclose.
I managed to get some rebate amount to get the unit repaired, then i just gave it away to my stereophile friend as a side project if i recall.

Everything else i've bought has been primarily locally so i've had the chance to see it first. I've also bought through my stereophile friend and his audio network so again, reputable collectors.
Incidentally, these Mission speakers were from the CBC studios in downtown Winnipeg for 20 years, sold off on bulk auction.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."