Hello Davidsch

Your post has been kicking around in my subconscious, so I figured I'd post to make it stop.

But, I digress ...

What got me thinking was your observation that the difference between the music from the Jolida and from the Denon was subtle, not immediately apparent, but rather a quality which sort of snuck up on you. I agree, although I think the difference is more noticeable with female vocals, classical music from strings or blowing air through a tube of some kind ...

I think the effect calls into question A/B testing. I say this because I think some effects are subtle and take time to evaluate.

BTW, if you need some tube power from an award winning amplifier, you might consider the Antique Sound Labs Hurricanes.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Output power:

Output impedance:
Input impedance:
Input sensitivity:
Frequency response:
Frequency response:
THD:
THD:
S/N:
Nominal Voltage gain:
Global NFB in dB:
Dimensions:
Shipping dimensions:
Net weight:
Shipping weight:
200 Watts (pentode/tetrode mode).
100 Watts (triode mode)
4, 8, 16 Ohms.
100kHz.
600mV
12 Hz – 41kHz. (At 1.0 Watt)
18Hz – 30kHz. (At full power)
0.3% (at 1 Watt)
5% at full power
88 dB (at full power)
50.46dB
(0)
350mm., 13 ¼” W X 350mm.,13 ¼” D X 325mm., 12 ½” H
470mm.,18 ½” W X 470mm.,18 ½” D X 450mm.,17 ½” H
38 kg., 84lbs.

Originally Posted By: davidsch
 Originally Posted By: photonblur
Hello,

I know and love that the M80V2s suck mega watts of power in the
pursuit of that real sound. Occasionally I get wistful for
the vaguely remembered warmth of those old 70's tube amps.
As a qualified non-expert I thought a tube friendly speaker
would have a relatively stable, high impedance curve, not
dipping much below 3-4 ohms. Our beloved M80s do not fit this
criteria. Anyone have experience with a tube amp M80 combo?

Thanks,

PB

While I have not tried the M80s with a tube amp, I have tried the M60s with a 50 watt/channel Jolida 302B. I borrowed the amp from brother-in-law for about 6 weeks. At first I did not notice a difference, but after a couple of days it seemed as though the midrange was smoother. After returning the amp and putting my Denon back into service, I was disappointed in the sound. Now I did not take the time to do a double blind comparison so there will be plenty of skeptics but that is OK. I say give it a try if a dealer will loan you an amp for a few days. I will likely buy a tube amp at some point, but there always seems to be something more important to spend our money on. Welcome to the forum and stick around.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.