As I mentioned earlier, electrostatics, and other dipolar speakers, are very sensitive to their surroundings. A long while, ago, 1996 or so, I got to hear two different setups when I was living in Florida and spending too much time in computer/electronics stores. After hearing the first set, in a beautiful, huge home I was completely shocked at how good they sounded. A couple weeks later, still going on about these "planer" speakers I heard someone else mentioned having a pair, and would I like to hear his setup. I jumped at the chance to hear them again. This time they were muddy, unfocused, not at all like I remembered, but this room was tiny and the speakers were only about a foot from the rear wall.

It wasn't until I was back home in Maryland, that I started researching electrostats, and other planar designs. What I found told me that they weren't for me. All sound reproduction is influenced by the room in some degree. But the level of interaction with speaker which emit equal amplitude pressure waves from the rear 180° out of phase are just too finicky for use in anything but a dedicated, stereo room. As I'm a big fan of movies, multi-channel sound, and DSP ambiance extraction, there's not much reason for me to try to extract phase information with speakers alone, when Dolby does the same job (can't wait to get a IIz processor) with more flexible speaker designs.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris