So the beef is that you can't keep parts of Audyssey settings when you turn *off* audyssey? Can you imagine all the people who would blame Audyssey after turning *off* audyssey and using it as a baseline for basic EQ?

To me, it's all what your used to. If you've convinced yourself that MCACC/Audyssey is just trickery, than no amount of room correction (done right) will convince you. If you are a fan boy of either camp, people complaining of "audyssey/mcacc sucks..." is immediately assaulted with "you did it wrong, you idiot..read the FAQ"

Room correction, I'm sure, is not for the faint of heart. And even modern day AVRs lack powerful enough DACs/ASICs to do a proper job. One reason why pro versions use PC's to do the calibration. I have Marantz 8001 with Vienna Acoustics Baby Beethoven, Pioneer VSX-84TXSi with Def Tech, and Deonon 3808 with Epic/80/EP500. I like them all, but I prefer the Denon/Axiom Combo the best. Pio has the MCACC, Marantz has Audyssey MultEQ and, and 3808 has Audyssey MultEQ XT. To me, the "XT" makes a big difference.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers