Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
What I don't get is by the time you get high enough in a product line to get the pre-outs, the amps in the receiver are good enough (and add enough to the price) that the want for external amps is diminished.

Seems sort of like a conspiracy doesn't it! Lol, I know exactly what you mean though, I've often noticed the same thing. It seems as though it should be opposite, with the high power recievers not needing pre-outs. My guess is that they might feel like those who only look at buying a 70 or 90 watt per channel reciever isn't someone who's wanting to really crank up their system, so they're not likely to buy external amps. However those of us who really like to crank it might buy a reciever with fairly beefy amps incorporated into them to run our surrounds with and push the left/right/center with the external amp, like me for instance.

I dunno, I remember us having this discussion before and it doesn't seem to me that this was the case made for low price recievers not having pre-outs, but I can't remember what the consensus was off hand.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD