I was going to post a followup to the M80-specific discussion but it felt a bit like hijacking. So!

People say that the M80's are "an easy 4 ohms" vs "a difficult 4 ohms", which would lead us to believe that their average impedance might have been rounded down to 4? (I'd say it's nicer to the consumer to round down, like Axiom did, than to round up). What's the 'actual' M80 impedance with standard testing material?

On avsforum I came across a post saying that many nominally 8 ohm speakers are closer to 4? I can see why manufacturers would like to do so, but whatever happened to truth in advertising? Are there any known tricksters in the industry?

Is this much like the receiver power output situation? Are there independent testers measuring real average impedances? It seems significant!

p.s. What brought this on was, I sold my Denon 1603 for a Yamaha RX-V1400 (and a HSU STF-2). Unfortunately the Denon left last Saturday, and the Yamaha doesn't come in until tomorrow-- I'm now having serious music withdrawl. (lesson learned, have some foresight regarding this stuff!) Anyway, with the Yamaha I'm wondering if I could drive M80s (with the load switch on 8 omhs, especially if they're a 'forgiving 4 ohm load') and have peace of mind.

Cheers,
Mike