Originally Posted By: drewy1

2. The characteristics of my room have devasted the natural frequecy response of my m80's. I have solid timber floors (not ideal) and the room is large (20 ft x 45ft.) Is there anything I can do to correct any room related problems such as using bass traps?

Most of the problem is going to be your room. Room modes play hell with the frequency response from 20-200Hz. The first thing you can do is play with speaker/subwoofer and seat positioning. Just a few inches to a foot one way or another especially closer or farther from a room surface (including floors) can make a huge difference. Bass traps AFAIK are best for taming the FR between 100-200Hz loosing effectiveness the lower the frequency. Having multiple low frequency sources like more than one subwoofer and/or running your mains with “double bass” can also help even things out. Finally, EQ can help some though the EQ available is Audyssey is limited and has a hard time compensating for room modes across multiple seats since it has to come up with a compromise EQ solution. EQ for one seat especially with something purposed built to EQ low frequencies can have a profound effect. I’ve been testing SVS AS-EQ1 that Charles “CV” loaned me with fantastic results for a single seat but only marginal results across three seats but it only works for the LFE channel.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=307389&fpart=1

Another possible issue you are having is with the crossover point between the M80s and the sub depending on how you have that set up.

Also, I’ve never seen a FR graph for the MFW-15 so it’s possible that’s also contributing but I‘m just speculating here.

There are several good articles here:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/newsletter_index.html

And much more info out on the internet that can help you with positioning and deciding if room treatments, multiple subs and EQ might help you.

Just wondering if you ever noticed any issues with the quality of the sound you’re hearing or is the first time you noticed something when you measured it.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1