Originally Posted By: Murph
Errr, good idea but I am trying to grow a bunch of new Blue Spruce trees in that area to replace the dying pine that used to divide our lots. If I can find a spray that kills bamboo but not trees, I'd at least do my side of the area. Where is a mad botanist-biochemical engineer when you need one. They are normally so commonplace.

Looks like you need two things to get rid of running bamboo in your yard :

- an underground barrier (30" deep or more, angled "down and out") to stop new runners coming across from your neighbors yard

- a backhoe to dig out *all* the roots on your side

Seems like there are relatively simple ways to kill off the bamboo on your side but they seem to take a few years. Killing it over a few years involves "wearing it down", basically cutting off all the shoots so the plant doesn't have a chance to form leaves and feed the root systems. One article mentioned that the root system will put up one last burst of shoots that look more like grass just before it gives up and dies.

What I don't know is whether the bamboo root system will be able to tap into your blue spruce roots and keep going that way - if so then you'll probably need to completely kill the bamboo before planting the spruce.

Apparently "clumping" bamboo doesn't send out those runners, but it's more expensive so everyone buys the cheaper "running" kind that spreads like a weed.

Last edited by bridgman; 07/12/10 02:53 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8