Originally Posted By: davidsch
The time to intervene would have been before purchases were made and only if you were consulted.

100% agreed

I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole, mainly because the wife bought it and they already have it. I try not to express my opinion unless I am asked before the purchase.

Example: My brother in-law decided he wanted a projection setup after I had mine all ready to go. He didn't really ask my opinion on anything other than what screen size he should use. He stumpled upon the Epson 8100 and bought that, which for his budget I probably would have recommended anyway. He did buy the cheapest screen he could find however and now it is starting to tear around the frame after about three months. He bought a cheapish BD player and is using RCA's to connect the audio out of that, into some computer speakers. He asked the other day why he's having problems with video/audio synch and didn't really have the heart to tell him, I just told him it's probably the player because it doesn't have a built in audio delay. He also commented on how my system looks better, but won't ask me to help him set his up.

He's happy though, so that is all that really matters.