Originally Posted By: SatKartr
Hmmm, so would you predict that the vp180 would sound better mounted on the wall above the HDTV than on top of the HT table with the TV mounted on the wall?

I really can’t say. Every combination of room layout, furnishing, speaker and listener positioning, personal perception and preferences creates so many variables I don’t think there is any one “right” answer. There is something to be said for following general guidelines like Dolby or Audyssey speaker placement, speakers set to small w/80Hz crossover working ok for most people. However, IMO those generalizations fail miserably when one want to get the most out of their system.

I post comments that have worked for me. Though I sometimes forget I try to mention if they have worked on more than one room/setup so as to show a more general usefulness. However, the reality is that just like demoing speakers in your own room rather than at the store is going to give better results, experimenting is the only way to know for sure if something actually works better.

Note: One pitfall to experiments it that often something new can sound much better or much worse because it’s simply different. So spending a little time with each change and tweeking each change is important to rule out the different-ness being the real factor.

I’ve also found that while wholesale changes can be interesting they make it hard to know what change did what to the sound. By making deliberate changes like pointing speakers straight out, then toeing them in drastically can make what those changes are doing easier to perceive.

So after all that my short answer would be that I think putting the speaker above would work better but . . . .

Also, many people don’t like their center above the screen even when angled down toward the listening position.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1