Not sure I understand your question, everything works perfectly over 99% of the time, but audio is missing from only certain material, e.g., only television commercials within an otherwise intact audio stream. I don't care much about the commercials of course but at times we are unable to watch specific shows, e.g., each of 4 different channels playing Pillars of the Earth had no sound, although the sound was present during the two episode combined reruns of the same material.

Yesterday the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bluray disc had no sound on the previews and no sound on the Main Menu; the Green Zone bluray disc did have sound on the Main Menu; both videos had apparently perfect sound for the actual movie.

At first I suspected a Directv automatic DVR software upgrade since sometimes those cause problems, but given that the problem is also happening with bluray it seems to me that it might be initiated at the 3808 or downstream.

Since with the bluray example so far it seems to be cropping up with the newer discs and the older discs seem unaffected (although I haven't gone through my whole collection of older discs to confirm that the pattern holds) I began to wonder if a change in audio processing standards was somehow involved, although that is sheer speculation on my part.

Finally, given the intermittent pattern affecting highly specific content in a highly regular manner it does not appear to involve anything mechanical like cabling, or could older HDMI cables (circa 2008) actually have issues with newer material?

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."