Tony,

My VP150 is mounted on a shelf directly above my 65" Mits. It is 5.5' above the floor, 12' in front of the main listening area. I have the speaker angled down to compensate for it's relatively high placement. It is angled down so the tweeters are pointed at ear level.

After reading your post, I used my RS analog sound meter to make some measurements. Using my receiver's built-in white noise tones, with the sound meter pointed at the ceiling, I adjusted the volume of the receiver until the meter showed 75 dB (C-weighted, slow response) while I was in the middle of the listening area. I've got a 7' couch, and I moved the meter to the left and right edges of the couch while playing the white noise. The meter dropped 1 dB at the left and right edges. The drop-off was linear, in other words it seems to drop off steadily. I would estimate it reaches the 1 dB drop-off at approx 15 degrees off-center. I've got a chair that is quite a bit off-center (I would say it's about 45 degrees), about 10' away from the speaker. At this chair, there was a 3 dB drop-off.

I was curious to see if the angle of the speaker made any difference. So I placed the speaker flat on the shelf, so it was no longer angled down to the listening area. I noticed a 2 db drop-off in the center of the listening area and a 3 dB drop-off at the edges of the couch, so the net effect was the same as before.

HTH,
Jason

M80 HP v4, VP160 v4, QS8 v1 (3 in 6.1 layout), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Parasound Halo A21, Denon AVR-X4100W