Tony, the easiest explanation for the differences in people's experience is apples to apples comparisons. Using sound test tones i measure no significant differences until a more extreme off-axis angle with the VP150 is reached. Ian may have also used a range of actual frequency tones. I don't know and hence i cannot explain his results although they do coincide with mine, but of course not with pink noise (apples to apples).
As i said previously, pink noise is part of the problem but all speakers have an off-axis response and this is something normal to expect. It is not a flaw with the VP150 and other centre channels may very well be even worse. Using the M2 as a centre still has an off axis response as well but keep in mind you cannot compare a horizontal vs. a vertical design speaker (apples to apples again). Its off axis vertical sound may be more noticeable or measurable with pink noise compared to its horizontal response. Axiom does ALL these measurements and incorporates this in their designs.

I will be over a friend's place this weekend and he has a Tannoy Saturn centre. I will measure the pink noise tones from his Denon receiver and see if it is any better or worse than the VP150. My guess though is that his sweet spot will be alot smaller but i could be wrong. The Tannoy dual concentric drivers really have a wide, even dispersion themselves.

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/11/04 05:00 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."