Originally Posted By: jp9250
CatBrat, what exactly should I look for in a sub? I know frequency response, power rating and such and I can compare the numbers, but what I don't know is what my needs really are. It's too easy to get the big eyes and buy more than I need. I'm trying to avoid that and at the same time get a good quality sound. I listen 50-50, but the music is more important to me than the movies. What is it about the Outlaw sub that attracts you? I really am new to all of this. Initially I was just replacing my speakers in a stereo system, but thought a basic HT would be nice to have as well.

thanks, jerry

All I can do is relate what I know, which isn't a whole lot on this subject. I wanted to stick with Axiom on all of my speaker purchases, because I believe in what they make, wanting the flattest freq. response that I can get for the money.

My first purchase was the EP175, which is a 10 inch sub with a 175 watt amp. I was only wanting a sub that would complement the M22's that I currently have, without adding too much bass and making the sound bass heavy. I also like to play my music and movies fairly loud, at around 80-90 db or so, depending on what I'm listening to. I discovered that the little 10 inch woofer and 175 amp, just couldn't keep up.

Next I ordered the EP350 and returned the 175. With it's 300 watt amp and 12 inch woofer, it's everything I was originally looking for, and more. With the volume on it turned down a little, I get the complement that I was looking for. With it turned up a little, I get the extra boost for explosions, etc. that help make movies a little more enjoyable. But with the special vinyl that I had mine done in runs right at $830.

I don't know how flat this Outlaw is, that's one thing I haven't discovered yet. But at 350 watt, and 12 inch woofer, it might be the equivalent of the EP350. Except the Outlaw is downward firing which I don't have any experience with, so for me it would be an experimental purchase. They make a size smaller with a 200 watt amp and a 10 inch woofer, but I'm afraid I would run into the same problem I had with the EP175.