Thanks for the replies. I agree - the Oppo would probably be my first choice as a Blu-Ray player given everything else it does well. But it's not available and I want to buy something now smile Besides - who says I have to wait for my kids to age a little before I can enjoy playing games. Perhaps I'm a gamer after all!

grunt - I was considering getting a cheaper Blu-Ray player but I think the gaming aspect is winning me over - plus all of the other features it can provide as a media console.

I think I'm going to spring for the PS3 now. Enjoy Blu-Ray and gaming. I'll compare it vs. my current Oppo (971) for upscaling DVDs (along with new receiver) and determine which is the best solution. To be fair I may not need a disc player since I'm planning on building a home server and ripping all my content to be played through a media extender anyways.

Thanks for the comments!

BTW - anyone have any thoughts on the PS3 Move hardware bundle? Figure I might as well go whole hog and get the motion sensor. Are there any good games or should I just get the PS3 and wait before adding on the Move hardware?