grunt - thanks for the very thorough advice.

I might play around with raising my sides (QS8s). Just not sure how to do it without affecting the stability of the stand. Even 8-12 more inches would probably help alot.

Nonetheless, I do agree with you that the M2s as heights will probably help out given that my surrounds are placed lower. To be honest, I've never had any issues with direct sounds out of the sides (i.e. sound intended to be behind the viewer) but sometimes I feel that ambient sounds sometimes don't reach their full impact. I think this is where the heights will help.

If I was wall-mounting the heights I'd use QS8s but I'm going to place them on a bookshelf so I'll go with the M2s.

BTW - what are your thoughts on having my right side surround mounted to the back wall facing into the room and parallel with (not perpendicular to) the listening spot. I could potentially mount them about 2-3 feet above the listening spot in this arrangement (assuming my wife doesn't balk). I had originally wired for this arrangment in addition to dropping it to the floor to support a stand. I've never tried it though.

The left surround would be perpendicular and directly to the side of the main listening area (almost ideal, if not slightly behind the sitting area).

Thanks!

Bryan