I don't have the ability to answer your first question. I don't have access to the subs that will be reviewed in the shootout. Compared to my HSU Research VTF-2 MK 3 sub, the EP-500 is clearly better...and at twice the cost it darn well better be better! How would it stack up to an SVS PB12-Plus, which costs just a little more than the EP-500? I have no idea, but my guess is that the EP-500 would not hold up. If I could do it all over again, I might give more consideration to the SVS, but there is substantial value to me in having a matched set for purely visual-aesthetic reasons. In other words, another sub might be better acoustically, but the EP-500 is a perfect visual fit with the rest of the system.

I regard myself as happy with the EP500, but will always be suspicious that it isn't up to the competition because Axiom withdrew from competition. But, I am happy with my purchase because the EP500 sounds satisfactory to me, so this isn't anything that is going to gnaw on me.

On the VP180 I am likewise happy. For all I know the VP180 is the best center channel speaker in the world...and my expectations were just too high. When I set up my speakers (I have yet to run the Audyssey), I manually set the M80s and VP180 to a 40Hz threshold. However, this made voices difficult to hear on the VP180, but when I set the threshold to 80Hz the voices became satisfactorily clear. I had just hoped that the VP180 would sound great with a 40Hz threshold, so that is the limit of my disappointment. This is a really small matter to me; as I indicated my testing demonstrated that the VP180 is the most superior center channel I've ever had. I love it, just not quite as much as my probable unrealistic expectations.

I am surprised you haven't heard of more finish issues, since 50% of the items in my order had finish issues (again, not so severe that I'm willing to ship things back for replacement). If only one item in my sizeable order had an issue, I wouldn't have mentioned it, but when 50% of my order affected I have to conclude that such issues must be the norm. But, I am way-happier with a less-than-perfect finished superbly sounding speaker and stands, than I am with beautifully finished less-than-stellar sounding speakers.

You may rightly regard me as a satisfied customer.

Last edited by darbo; 11/24/10 08:27 PM.