I am really appreciating this dialogue very much; it is encouraging me all the more to experiment and reassess!

I just ran the system through the Audyssey calibration for the first time with the Axioms and it set the M80s and VP180 to full. Hmmm. My initial reaction to the calibration is positive (music sounds absolutely awesome in that setting). I have a Blu-Ray disc playing right now and the dialogue seems quite intelligible. Could it be that the system simply needed to be calibrated to our listening environment?

That said, the audyssey calibration results lead me to this question: Is it harmful to the M80s or VP180 to have them set to full for blu-ray/dvd content?

I am open to the possibility that I simply need to adjust myself to the VP180; that the only thing that needs "breaking in" is me. If it won't harm the speakers to leave them at full, per the Audyssey calibration, I'd like to do so for an extended period to ensure that we're sampling enough varying content and to learn if we simply need to adjust our own "hearing posture" to the system.