MarkyM,

Following this thread, I knew you'd enjoy the enhanced soundstage of the M60 v3's, perhaps the most noticeable (in double-blind comparisons) improvement because of the smoother, wider dispersion of the new tweeter. That characteristic is also apparent in the new M22 v3s (vs. my old M22ti's) and in the M3 v3.

Yes, apart from the new tweeter, there were adjustments in the crossover midrange response of the v3, which during the double-blind tests at Axiom, caused me to end my rating sheet with the phrase, "This is a wonderful speaker!"

Previously, I had never given the earlier M60 v2 such high praise; in fact, there was always a slight midrange glitch that bothered me in the earlier M60s, which lent a slightly edgy quality to some female vocals and a few brass instruments (occasionally sax and trumpet) and that lowered my overall score for the older M60s.

I was thrilled when the new M60 v3 showed no trace whatsoever of that slight "middy" glitch. For those who are curious, I never heard the latter in the earlier M80 v2's (I have those in my living room). The M80 v3 also benefits from the new v3 tweeter, but to my ears, the biggest improvement in the tests I did in late spring and early summer were audible in the M60 v3s.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)