Well Sunday has come and gone, and we learned a great deal. We didn't have a chance to drive the Suzuki because the dealer was closed, but we were able to thoroughly test out the Ford Focus lineup. Our salesman's command of English was somewhat limited, which was fine as we were trying to investigate the vehicle not the pitch. Every dealer we visited cited a different magazine touting their vehicle as best in class. Anyway...I discovered a great deal about the Focus. The wagon has a wonderful amount of space, and even the base engine has enough grunt for 95% of the situations you may encounter. The 4 door hatchback with the upgraded engine and improved suspension moves out with gusto and feels planted on the road. The engine has a nice tone, and the steering is very precise. If you closed your eyes you would not guess that this is an econobox. The problem is that you can't drive with your eyes closed for long. The A pillar interferes with your vision turning left or right, and everything inside the car screams “Cheap”. Before you fold down the back seats, you have to flip up the seat cushions, and you stare at bare painted metal. The light switch is on the left side of the dash instead of on a stalk where you can access it immediately. The interior smells like cheap plastic, and nothing appears to have been designed with any concession to style. It is functional, but mundane. There are no interesting touches anywhere. I would not have thought that I would have strong feelings about such things in a car, but obviously I do. Despite that, I could live with the Focus if it cost less than the competition, but there is no price advantage. By the time you add in most of the features that the comparable Mazda offers as standard, the Focus is as much or more money, and nothing in the Mazda gives the impression of economy. In terms of perceived quality and value, the Mazda kicks the Ford’s butt. The Ford is quick, the Mazda is quicker. The Ford corners flat, the Mazda will beat it. The Ford interior is austere and uninteresting; the Mazda is welcoming and has nice touches everywhere you look. At this point my only question is: if the Ford, Toyota, and Pontiac are fairly priced, how can Mazda sell their car for the money they do?
The adventure continues.