Hi Twelly,

1. I don't think it will be overkill at all. I know the listening distance to the M80ti is, I want to say, no less then 10ft ?. It's something right around there. Placement of the M80s can be challenging but worth it.

2. They do have good base indeed but not as good as a dedicated sub can have. Some HT people, Axiom owners or otherwise, like to have not just powerful bass but alot of bass headroom. Headroom is just a measure of how much load the sub, for example, can handle before it bottoms out with a loud "Clack!". More headroom means more bass before bottoming.

3. Your 5700 should have no trouble driving the M80s at very high volumes for extended periods. Obviously you would need an additional amp if you wanted to bi-wire/bi-amp your M80s.

4. I don't have Axioms yet but I do know that the QS Series does have a downward firing woofer ergo most normal speaker stands will block that woofer. Axiom sell stand designed just for the QS series or you can modify your existing stands by drilling a large hole in the center to allow the woofer to breath.

5. The can O Worms question. Here much of the Net as a whole will be devided. Some will say that standard speaker wire bought in bulk is just as good as super crazy expensive wire bought in Beverly Hills. Others will say that the special wire does make a difference. I can not speak for the world at large but I use bettercables.com for my HT cabling needs and am very happy.

I am going to be going much the same route as you. I am planning on buying the Epic 80 sans sub. Then, most likely, dual SVS PB2-Plus subs. I am also considering the PC-Plus 16-46 cylinder sub times two as an alternate to the PB2-Plus. As far as subs go you can email sales@svsubwoofers.com and they will suggest which sub would be well suited to your needs. They are well known for both honesty and accuracy. They will not over sell you. SVS is very well known for its customer service.

I am planning on running this all on a Denon AVR-3803. From the research I have done the 3803 will be perfectly happy running the M80s. As such I am sure the 5700 will barely even notice the M80s are 4 ohm speakers.

I am also looking at the crowsontech.com TES100 tactile transducers. They are very enjoyable for action movies but they do require a seperate amp to power them.