I went to the car show last night in Kansas City. There wasn't anything on the cheap end that I thought looked good, because I'm not a fan of 4 cyl. motors, nor a fan of standard transmissions. I think the highest gas mileage I saw in this mix was 47 mpg.

The car I liked the best, if I was to buy one, and had the money, would have been a Chevy Volt. If all the salesman was saying is true. It has an 8 year warranty on all electrical parts. It gets (I forget exactly) around 50 mpg at 55 mph, while running on gas alone. I never got a quote on 70 mph (maybe it won't do 70mph). Oh yeah, recharge rate was 10 hours at 110 and 4 hours at 220. Cost per recharge was $.70 to $1.20 depending on elec. rate. Calif would be $1.20 with KC rates about $1.00 per charge. The cost of the Volt on the showroom floor was $44k.

The reason I didn't like the other, normal cars, even the pricier ones, was because nothing got over 27 mpg. With gas prices going through the roof, these are dinosaurs. (I'm throwing out the 4 bangers because I don't like them, but that is probably the only sane way to go).

I only listened to a few of the car sound systems and I didn't like what I heard. I think a little over 50 grand was the most expensive car I listened to and it was miserable. I barely had it turned up and the bass was making the inside of the car shake. There wasn't all that much bass and you could hear the interior of the car make buzzing noises. Yetch.

Last edited by CatBrat; 03/06/11 02:28 PM.