Hi Seeking,

I agree entirely with JohnK on the subject of power "conditioners". Some are sold at outrageous prices to technically naive audiophiles by hucksters who are excellent promoters who lack any engineering credentials. There is no need for power conditioners (and the charlatans who promote them) and I've never used one.

As to mid-bass, I'd be a bit more generous with the range and set it at 50 Hz to 200 Hz. Plenty of listeners like a little boost in this range and often call it "warm" or use other descriptors. Axiom's M3 bookshelf has a pleasant lift in this range (the M22 does not), as do (historically) all of the Paradigm floorstanding and bookshelf models that I've auditioned in blind tests---too much, in my opinion. It can make male vocals somewhat fat or "chesty" sounding and other intruments like cello sound too full.

When I first joined Axiom, I did A/B comparisons with many of the Axiom speakers and other brands I had on hand from my years of audio magazine editing and reviewing speakers. The main difference between the Paradigm Studio 20 bookshelf speakers and the M22s was that lower/mid-bass boost from the Paradigms that gave singers like Harry Connick Jr. a slightly bloated sound in his lower range. Otherwise, the M22s and Studio 20s were indistinguishable.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)