Hi 1sweetspot,

If you're using a subwoofer in your system, I'd recommend you get a direct-drive, as the rumble frequencies are inherently below audibility and below the range of the majority of subwoofers (around 12 to 13 Hz).

Belt-drive turntables use a faster-rotating motor and a belt link to the platter that is subject to greater potential fast speed variations (flutter) than direct drive. And the faster -rotating motor produces residual rumble frequencies in the 20 to 30 Hz region, resulting in "pumping" of a subwoofer driver. If any of the high-end tweaks bothered to do proper tests on turntables, they would know this.

Given the fact that some vinyl discs contain recorded rumbled caused by the cutting lathe, I'd recommend either using a switchable rumble filter (hard to find) or getting a direct-drive model so the playback device--the turntable--doesn't contribute rumble of its own.

I gave a Stanton direct-drive to my son and it's been very reliable. The supplied cartridge is OK, but not great. I'd replace it with a Shure M97, which is very smooth and linear and close in performance to the Shure V15, and it uses the damped brush that allows the cartridge to track small and large warped LPs much more effectively. It also reduces "warp wow".

It's true that the Technics SL-1200 has ceased production and used ones are very expensive. They do last forever.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)