Quote: "6. JB, your setup is the kind that I got a bad impression from, hearing tidbits discussed here and there online. In your setup, is there a point to having a main amp? I might be wrong, but if your subwoofer has its own internal amp, won't it ignore any power coming from your main amp? And since your speakers are attached to your subwoofer, won't they draw their power from the subwoofer (and not your main amp), hence draining some energy from the subwoofer that the subwoofer possibly could have used for itself? In all of that... the main amp would be useless, except for sending the audio signal itself. Again, I'm a naive noob, so what do I know! lol"

i will try to make this as clear as i can.
speaker (high) level signals come out from the main amp and go to the sub high level inputs.
from there, the signal is divided in 2 parts by the sub's crossover; one becomes the Low Freq. signal that goes to the sub's internal amp, and the other one contains only signals above the sub's crossover point and that signal goes to the front speakers at the same level it had when going out of the main amp.

done this way, the main speakers receive the signals stripped of the frequencies below the crossover point,
and the sub receives only the low frequencies below the crossover point.

if the crossover is set to, let's say 100 Hz, then the sub will reproduce, with it's own amp, the frequencies below 100 Hz,
and the main speaker will receive all the frequencies above 100 Hz. from the main amp output to the speakers.
this is a simplified explanation.

Last edited by J. B.; 06/22/11 12:36 AM.