Originally Posted By: Wiggins
Finally got through to electronicsforless.ca today. I was able to get another dealer I normally use to price match plus 5% so I am going to be a proud owner of the tx-nr809 hopefully before the end of the weekend.

I will be going from my previous Yamaha rxv1800 and looking forward to some of the new features that are available to us today and using the new OSD and GUI. Also looking forward to see how Audyssey works in my room.

In a month and 10 days I will be moving into a new house that is being completed right now. I am fortunate enough to get a dedicated media room. My side and rear surrounds have been prewired already as well as hook ups and conduit behind the drywall for cables to wallmount my plasma for a nice clean look. The room is rather narrow at 19L. 11W. 8H. I will just be using a 5.1 setup for now and eventually go 7.1 if I feel the need in that room. The receiver should be fine for a smaller/medium size room. It does not open out to any other rooms and I am able to shut the door.

Thanks for the suggestions and advIce. The Yamaha was just a little out of the price range I wanted to spend and feel I got a decent deal on the Onkyo. The 1009 model has even more features that I would not use like 9 channel amplification so I felt the 809 fit the bill. I feel the 1009 should have included multieqxt32 to separate itself from the 809 more.

One more question: on the Yamaha it indicates only 400 watts of consumption compared to 7.5 amps from the Onkyo. How do they come up with those numbers in a similar spec'd piece of equipment? I know there is more to sound quality than just watts but moreso the delivery of that watt. The new xx9 series seems to be a jump ahead of it's previous year offerings for the price and also running at cooler temperatures.

Who knows how they come up with any of these numbers, however, in the end, whatever choice you made, you couldn't lose in the deal. In the past, it had been reported that Onkyo's were inclined to run somewhat hotter than their competition, however, I don't know whether or not that is still the case with these current models. Incidentally, you wondered about the difference between the 809 and 1009 and coincidentally that came up in a recent review in Audioholics that asked that same question. The difference in price between the two could not be justified and said the 809 was simply a much better value.

In fact when I had a discussion with the rep from the other optional website I passed on to you (HD.CA)he indicated to me because of this the 809 and below will always be, by far, their best sellers. Overall, they will sell proportionately very few of the upper series (1009,3009,5009).