bridgman,
My goal is strictly movies. I'm a little confused about your wireing. Are you saying to wire the rear directional speakers to to "side surround" output on the AV receiver? I have thought about that but think it might sound wierd. I am using HDMI for my whole home theater BTW. I have played with all the possible settings on my Denon AVR-3311CI including the auto calibration but find that the QS8's just don't play loud enuf to give good direction for me. The front L/R M80's seem to over power the surround channels even when turned as low as possible and the QS8's cranked. In fact, I think I may have destroyed my QS8's because now they all have distortion. In the end I just want a killer movie setup. My system has the EP800, M80's, VP150, and 4 QS8's. I am totally blown away with everything but the surround sound. I don't have room for 4 more M80's for surround but I bet that would do the job...lol. I realize that surrounds are just for ambient and special FX but when I see action traveling left to right and front to back I expect to hear the same from the surround speakers with them increasing and decreasing in volume and the other channels acting the same way. I know it's also all about the movie sound track mix. I have the perfect spacing and position for all my speakers and only want one listioning position.I have not tried a sound meter because I thought audesy cal was the best. I have a lot to learn about home theater and appreciate any imput.

Samsung 65" 3D LCD TV, Samsung 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player, Denon AVR 3311CI, EP800, M80's, VP150, 4QS8's