Sorry for the confusion as to which speakers I'm talking about. I mean the side surrounds but for now I wont be changing anything until I replace 6 woofers, that's right, 3 out of 4 QS8's I fried. JohnK, my speakers are positioned as you say, maybe off an inch or two. This brings up some questions for me and please remember I'm new to home theater setups.

1. My denon AVR-3311CI is 125W for each surround speaker and the QS8 is 400W. I didn't think it was possible to harm the QS8's with 275W left over for the speaker. What is going on here?

2. Would a separate power amplifier help to increase sound quality in both high and low volume? If so, wouldn't the risk of damageing the speakers be even greater?

3. The Axiom A1400-8 is $3,880.00 so I'm wondering how much differance this will make. My whole system wasn't much more than this so can I expect at least twice the performance or are we talking about a small change in quality. Again I'm after movies with great surround sound. My EP800, M80's, and VP150 already work great.

4. I was advised to manually calibrate the speakers with a sound meter starting all speakers at zero DB. Has anyone done this? if so, how can it be better than the Audyssey set up?

These are my current Denon Audyssey settings:
Channel Levels
Front L = -6 dB
Front R = -6 dB
Center = + 7 dB
Surround R = -4.5 dB
Surround L = +9 dB
All speakers set to small and all distances were right except for the sub which is 12ft but audyssey thinks it's 23.7ft.

I was told that by doing the calibration manually I shouldn't need to go more than 2-3 dB above and below zero dB. So why do my Audyssey levels vary so much and what is going on with my sub distance. I have done the auto cal several times and get simular results. Also I'm calibrating to just one listioning position.

Thanks!

Last edited by da-drifter; 09/01/11 01:12 PM.

Samsung 65" 3D LCD TV, Samsung 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player, Denon AVR 3311CI, EP800, M80's, VP150, 4QS8's