Quote:

One last thing, do you think the (wide speakers) would work well close to the cieling, I have no room left on the floor at a 60% angle to my listening position.

Although I never tried them higher up I’d have to say that wide speakers wouldn’t work well if the drivers aren’t fairly close to the same level as the mains. Most of the sounds I hear coming from the wide speakers are very directional sounds. Things like footsteps, cars driving, doors opening/closing and voices. There are some ambient sounds but not ambient like rain or echoes. Things more like office, crowed, bar and street noise. Also a lot of the directional sounds are things that pan from off stage to on stage or on stage to off stage so if there was a significant difference in height between the mains and wides it would be very obvious during the pans.

Note that the angle doesn’t have to be exactly 60 degrees, IMO there is a lot of wiggle room in wide speaker placement. Also if you used M2s like I am, and don’t have any floor space a simple shelf or wall bracket would hold them nicely.

Nickboros suggestion to use QS4s as height speakers is a good one. They are certainly less expensive than QS8s and would probably not sound any different in that role. I only got the QS8s to use as height speakers because I knew in my narrow room I would need to mount them on the side walls rather than the front and figured that would be easier than mounting a directional speaker so it pointed at the listening area. Plus if I decided to re-task them later to use as double surround speakers they would timber match my other QS8s.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1