Originally Posted By: Ken.C
It is less, but it's still over 3-5 years, AFAIK.

I use a 256GB SSD in my laptop, so obviously I have everything on it. If I were to get one for my desktop, though, I'd probably get ~128GB and then load the OS, applicaitons, and games on that, and store my data on a hard drive.

There's been some reports going around about SSD failure, data loss, early deaths, but if you have been working with computers long enough you come to know that ANY component could fry as early as day 1. I've even seen a CPU die which is EXTREMELY rare (no overclock, no voltage push).

Secondly, know that every first generation new technology will take some time to improve and then awhile longer for the negative old news to disappear. This is how stereotypes stick with a product long after the issues have become negligible.

The SSD has made the largest single increase in my system speed in years. It is worth every dollar and since the inception of SATA3 (6GB), the read and write rates are literally 4 times or more faster than disc drives.

In regards to data loss, SSD failure, no one should be using one single drive to house everything they own regardless of storage type.
If you don't have a backup for whatever your choice of storage, i have no sympathies.

And with that thought, i'll do my two click backup right now...

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."