I am confident that in the informal, uncontrolled listening tests that provide the basis for most of these comparisons, many receivers do sound different. But it's not because of a unique sound characteristic of the amplifier section. Rather in most cases it's due to loudness not being perfectly controlled in an A/B test, or a misunderstood DSP mode, digital arrival time, EQ or bass management feature accidentally left on or misconfigured.

For example a good number of these tests likely aren't in "direct stereo mode". Receivers are so complicated nowadays, knowing exactly what mode they're in and the details of that mode isn't always easy, esp when the manual is poorly written (or translated). E.g, my RX-V1400 has both a "straight stereo" mode, and a "direct stereo" mode. Some Onkyo receivers have both a direct mode and a similar "pure audio" mode. Knowing which does what requires careful study of an often vague and poorly-worded manual.

Receiver listening comparisons really shouldn't use a subwoofer, yet many likely do. Direct stereo modes (required for the best chance at an equal comparison) usually disable the digital domain processing necessary for bass management, plus it's complicated calibrating a common sub for two different receivers.

It's well documented that small differences in loudness significantly affect the perceived sound quality. Therefore it's necessary in any controlled listening test to calibrate the peak level of the test material on both receivers. Just setting volume controls to about the same point isn't sufficient.

I know these may be obvious, but it's very likely many casual receiver A/B listening tests don't meticulously follow these, making the comparisons questionable.

Obviously I'm talking about contemporary solid state receivers. It seems more likely (although I don't have any hard data) that an audible difference might exist for tube amps in some circumstances.

The reason for not buying a bottom-of-the-line receiver is simple: features. E.g, the Panasonic SA-HE200 is a OK receiver but doesn't have on screen display, EQ, or automatic calibration. The bass management has only three fixed crossover choices, 100, 120 or 150 Hz. It has somewhat limited input/output jacks. The amp is class H, so some theoretical differences there. If none of those are issues for a potential buyer, I don't see why not buy it.

Last edited by joema; 03/05/04 06:13 PM.