It seems to me that a preamp with an external amp is not a very cost effective solution, but it doesn't really make much sense why that is the case. I think that major manufacturers just artificially keep the prices high, maybe so that they don't lose the audiophile customers or something. Maybe someone can explain to me how even budget receivers ($400 to $500) are loaded with many of the latest features: video scaling, Audyssey room correction, height and/or width channels, etc. Yet, there are not any preamp options in this price range or slightly higher (<$800). Simply leave out the amps and put in balanced outputs.

Just like Mike wants. It seems reasonable that Onkyo could put out a preamp with balanced 11 channel (front heights and front wides) outputs, 2 sub outputs, and even MultEQ XT32 for less than $1000. The Onkyo 3009, has a list price of $2200 and it has MultEQ XT32. The Onkyo 1009 has a list price of around around $1400 and it only has the MultEQ XT instead. So the MultEQ XT 32 is, at most, a $800 feature. Probably more like $500 to implement it. Stepping up from the Onkyo 509 to 609 gets you the Audyssey DSX, for a $150 price increase. So it seems to me that the Audyssey DSX is, at most, a $150 feature, but probably more like $100. When you look at the fact that Onkyo has entry level $300 to $400 multichannel receivers, loaded with plenty of features, how hard would it be to remove the amps, add the 11.2 balanced outputs in their place and the Audyssey DSX and MultEQ32 and come in under $1000. For a step up of $300 or $400 they could put out another line with those same features and top of the line video processing. They could also offer a step down model that only has MultEq XT instead of MultEq XT32 and no video processing for $500. But, then they would be competing with their sister company Integra who doesn't really offer a preamp for less than $1500.

This seems like an untapped market to me. With the way that the big brands are releasing new receivers every 6 months with more and more features than before. They could sell these more budget friendly preamps as well, and more people would be willing, every few years, to upgrade if they are excited about some of those latest features, like front height and width channels and the latest Audyssey. But, if that same person spends $2000 on an avr, they are probably going to not upgrade until the receiver dies (10 years or more).