Ken, I have a lot of experience with weatherstripping of various kinds, having gone through many different types on my automatic front door.

For a gap of that size around the perimeter of the door, it's generally recommended to narrow it first by having a "shim" made that runs from the bottom to the to of the door (I have the same issue along the latch side of my door). Just remember to run a bead of caulk before nailing it.

After you've done that, I'd get some high quality weatherstripping from a company like Pemko. Their stuff is expensive but it's top notch quality, unlike the stuff sold at Home Depot etc. I'm using Kerf perimeter gasketing and am very happy with it. It's not as expensive as their other products (I've used their spring loaded adjustable weatherstripping, and it cost almost $200), but it's extremely popular here in Canada.

It's probably overkill, but you could add their adhesive gasketing along the jamb as well. I am currently using the "fin style" on my sliding patio door, and have successfully used the "bubble style" on my front door. The one thing I'd strongly suggest when using any adhesive weatherstripping, is that it's enforced with a contractors adhesive caulk like this.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Powertothepeople; 01/14/12 07:14 PM.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.