Originally Posted By: JohnK
Casey, as Jason points out, contrary to what might be expected simply by looking at them, speakers with drivers aligned horizontally have good vertical dispersion, while speakers with drivers aligned vertically have better horizontal dispersion. This has been well-recognized in the industry for years and has been adopted by competitors well before this. For example, note the Paradigm line-up of center speakers here , which use this configuration in even the less expensive models.

So, no entirely new technology is involved here, although as Ian has explained, changes, including crossover slopes, were necessary in adapting the M60 components to the W T/M W configuration.

From my own experimentation over the years with several center channel models(including a VP150), regardless of size or configuration, placing the center channel above the screen as opposed to below it and tilting it towards the listening position, in comparing one design to the other, seems to negate many of the limitations talked about here. Combine that with the superior horizontal dispersion of the VP160 and I believe I have the best of both worlds. I, personally in my setup, never really cared for the sound of the speaker below the screen anyway and it never seemed to sound as good to me. I guess it always gets back to Alan's previous article of how center channels can be affected by positioning in various environments. I know it is not possible for everyone to be able to place a speaker in this elevated position, especially ones of the size of the 160/180, but if you can, I believe it provides better overall dispersion.

I have tried the dual method as well, above and below, and in the end, I always went back to the tried and true method above(speaker above monitor, tilted towards listening spot).

In the end, with this hobby, it always boils down to experimentation and playing around until one is satisfied with what sounds best to them.In this case, luckily, we have the tools with which to play.

Last edited by casey01; 02/02/12 04:54 PM.