Hi all,

I expect large-screen OLED prices to follow the same pattern as large-screen plasma TVs did; in other words, to come down to affordable mass-market price levels over a 10-year period.

I remember going to a Super Bowl game party at a fellow editor's home in Rockland county, 30 miles from Manhattan, about a decade ago. For the party, a former colleague had set up and calibrated a large-screen HD Pioneer plasma, about 72 inches diagonal, which at the time sold for $12,000. The host for the Super Bowl party had over-the-air terrestrial HD reception, with a big tower antenna.

Now look at plasma prices. I saw the first Sony OLED demo about 3 years ago at CES. It was a 12-inch diagonal display and sold for $2500. So we have about 7 years to go before OLED displays are affordable.

Ford Prefect might recall that in the old days of small-screen black & white CRT sets, a company sold a huge magnifying glass that stood on a stand in front of your average 17- or 19-inch TV. It worked, but it was strictly viewing for one person.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)