I have several DVD Audio and SACD discs and overall love the sound when mixed properly. I have even read reviews over the years where the staunch vinyl crowd "reluctantly" admitted that they were that good and, in performance, at least equal to their precious vinyl recordings. The problem, like any niche product(remember laserdisc?), is that, even with all its great potential, if the companies are not going to support it and bring the price down to where the masses are going to be interested in buying it, it is never going to catch on. We certainly have had several examples of that over the years, especially in the recording aspect of audio.

The even larger problem lies with the engineers and record producers of the various artists and labels who, even though the capability has been there for decades to do so, most have been reluctant to go back in to the studio to remix recordings for an alternate "multi-channel" sound vehicle for some unknown fear of tampering with what they describe as their "original concept".

The ironic thing about this is that if one is old enough, I, myself personally, can remember back in the late fifties, hearing many of the same excuses from recording engineers and producers who weren't keen on remixing their mono recordings in to the newly invented breakthrough format, "Stereo"!

Last edited by casey01; 03/10/12 05:30 PM.