Originally Posted By: SBrown
My Onkyo amp was clipping and would shut down with the M80's and the Outlaw mono's don't even break a sweat at high volumes. Like I said before, my cable box runs hotter than these little guys.

To small of a power supply for all of the channels that the amp has, and not a robust design of the amp channels to handle high current... This is why i did not recommend the Onkyo initially... It would be fine with 6+ohm speakers, but not 4ohm or sub 4ohm speakers at higher volumes... the amp channels can not handle the current that the M80's and LFR's will want.

When you get to speakers that have 4ohm and sub 4ohm impedance graphs, then driving them becomes substantially harder for an amp. Andrew has said that the absolute minimum impedance that the LFR's will see is 3ohms, and most likely 3.5ohms... When buying an amp for low impedance speakers, an important factors is the minimum impedance, not the nominal.. If you buy an amp that can barley handle the nominal impedance, when you actually use the speaker, and the impedance dips below the nominal rating... Well, thats when amps start over heating, clipping, and eventually shutting down on thermal protection ect....

Mono amps would be the ideal solution, because each amp channel would have it's own independent power supply. The benefits of which i believe were discussed in the previous thread that i linked you to.

Good luck with your decision.. Have you placed your order for your LRF's yet?

Last edited by dakkon; 04/27/12 08:18 PM.