Originally Posted By: VoicOfReason
I just purchased the received the VP-160. I really like it, but because I already have M80V3 towers, I am thinking that the VP-180 will blend better and give me a bigger sound than the VP-160. My amp can certainly drive it, so that's no problem. I've read a little comparing the 2, but love the big sound and imaging of the M80's. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Who has compared the VP-160 and VP-180 and what can I really expect to gain going from the VP-160 to the VP-180?

Thanks in advance!

Without actually being able to compare the two and although used for a different purpose, I suppose the closest example would be comparing the M60s to M80s in a L/R configuration. I have had both, moving from M60s to M80s and, quite frankly and at least in my application, I was surprised how similar they sounded. For some of the reasons already mentioned (space and weight issues)I bought the VP160 instead of the VP180 and I couldn't be happier. Remember, compared to most other center channels, the VP160 is very big and that cabinet size, of course, will have a big bearing on what you are hearing. That is why the difference between the VP150 and 160 will be much more profound than any differences between the 160 and 180.

In addition, the design difference in the 160 with the vertical arrangement of the tweeter and mid-range as opposed to the horizontal arrangement of the 180, in my comparisons of other center channels with these two designs, the design of the 160, based on my totally unscientific study, will give you a little better consistent horizontal dispersion than the 180.

I believe, in the end, any perceived differences between the two may not be as much as one might think.

Last edited by casey01; 05/06/12 07:15 PM.