To Johns point, i usually listen to my system at 12-20, "Reference" level on my system is 31.. some times up to 20 when watching movies, at 20 you can hear explosions 5 feet outside of the house with all of the doors and windows closed... I have never listened to my system at the reference level, at about 20 the SLP in my room is 80-100db... depending on material.... So, reference would be over 100DB... Again my room is 2,400cu/ft essentially the same size as your room.

The reason i have the power that i do, is due to my my room size.. My previous amp was 135W @8ohm's, it was a Marantz mm9000, i really like the amp (it now powers my bed room speakers) it just doesn't have enough power for my family room. Several movies were driving a couple of the channels into clipping; which was indicated by the clipping led's lighting up like a xmass tree...

I wouldn't worry about a magical "reference" number... buy your speakers, and see if the gear you currently have works the way YOU want it to.. Then, if you perceive the need for more power, then buy more (or, if you want a couple big amps in the room, well that's fine also wink ).. But, don't spend extra money due to random stuff you read on the interweb...

What amp do you have now?

As to your original question, call axiom. Brent should know if anyone has done what you are trying to do, or he will give you a better/more cost effective alternative.