Based on just my own bit of research, my experience using my Wife's iPad and occasionally pilfering a Galaxy Tab 10 at work, I would make the following comments.

I wouldn't worry about too much a replaceable battery. It is a desirable feature but if its a bad battery, you will know within a DoA return period. Otherwise, by the time you really feel the need for a new one, you will already have been overtaken by the urge to upgrade to whatever new tech is coming.

I'd also not fret too much about physical connectivity. I almost didn't get the iPad for Sharon because it had no connections other than it's proprietary one. However, in hind sight, we have never felt a need to plug anything into it yet anyway. Email is quick for small files and there are lots of free file sharing sites to transfer files over the I'net instead of USB sticks. If you really want to hook it to your TV, which we have never felt the urge to do, then you can get a dock for that or stream it.

I've never used the Toshiba so I can not compare. It would certainly do exactly what you need from what I read about it. I can tell you that I really like the Galaxy. I'f I were buying myself, it might even be the one I'd go for over iPads. However, I don't have to make that call yet so I'm not sure. I could go either way.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

And Oh Yes, Sorry to hear about your Dad. I must not have been paying attention lately as I don't recall it being mentioned before. I recently went through a similar stint with my own Dad so I understand how it can upturn your life. I hope he gets better soon as my Dad luckily did.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.